Community Calendar - August 2, 2017
Fri, 08/04/2017 - 9:50am
BINGO will be held every first Thursday (Aug. 3) at the Allendale Community Center (217 Flat St., Allendale) from 6-8 p.m. Refreshments will be for sale. First game is free.
First Friday will be held at the Allendale Community Center (217 Flat Street, Allendale) on Friday, August 4. The LGB Band and Mr. Edward Dunbar of the Drifters will perform. There will also be craft vendors, paint night, gospel hour and food vendors. Bring your own lawn chair.
Miss Kappa Pageant
The Denmark Alumni Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi will host its 8th Bi-annual Miss Kappa Alpha Psi Pageant on Saturday, August 5 at the Dane Theater in Denmark at 6 p.m. Categories are: Wee Miss Kappa (ages 5-8), Little Miss Kappa (9-13), and Miss Teen Kappa (14-18).
For more information, participants should contact Brother Willie Bamberg at (803) 378-5270 or Curtis Tyler Jr. at (803) 793-4934.
Family Fitness Festival
The Barnwell County HYPE team is hosting the first annual Family, Food, and Fitness Festival on Saturday, August 5 from 9 a.m. to noon at Farmers Market at Fuller Park in Barnwell. The event is to promote healthy lifestyle throughout the community. There will be games, Zumba, bounce houses, face painting, taste testing, and a cook off. Family fun for all ages!
Fitness, Fellowship & Faith
The men of Fitness, Fellowship & Faith “F3” will hold a free workout at First Baptist Church in Barnwell on August 5 at 9 a.m. The mission of F3 is to plant, grow and serve small workout groups for the invigoration of male community leadership. Our five core principles state all workouts are free of charge, and workouts are open to all men. They also are held outdoors — rain or shine, heat or cold. Men who participate also lead the workout in a rotating fashion, with no training or certification necessary. Finally, workouts end with a Circle of Trust.
Free Movie in the Park
The City of Barnwell Parks and Recreation Department will host Movie in the Park on Friday, August 11 at the Lemon Park multi-purpose field. They will show “Facing the Giants”. Gates open at 7:30 p.m. Movie starts at 8:30. Bring snacks and a chair or blanket.
Solar Eclipse at State Park
Barnwell State Park will hold several events related to the upcoming Solar Eclipse:
• Solar Bracelets (August 19 at 2 p.m.) – Come out and make a Solar Eclipse Survival Bracelet with a Park Ranger. We will be using paracord and UV reactive beads to make bracelets that will change colors in the sunlight and glow in the dark during the eclipse. The program costs $5/participant and they will meet behind the park office at the picnic pads.
• Evening Hike (August 20 at 8 p.m.) – Hike with a ranger in the evening. They will simulate the eclipse by taking an evening hike and see how wildlife may act during the eclipse. Meet at the Park Office.
• Pinhole Cameras (August 21 at noon) – Make and decorate Pinhole Cameras with a Park Ranger to use during the eclipse. All participants will receive Solar Eclipse Glasses in addition to their cameras. The program costs $5/participant. Meet at Shelter 4.
If you have any questions, call during their office hours of 11 a.m. to noon and from 4-5 p.m. daily at (803) 284-2212 or email Barnwellsp@scprt.com.
Shrine Club Bike Rally
The El BAB Shrine Club’s Fall Bike Rally will be Saturday, August 5. This is a fundraiser to raise money for burned and crippled children who seek medical help at Shriner’s Hospitals. First bike out from El BAB (571 Patterson Mill Rd., Barnwell) will be at 10 a.m.
Cost is $15/rider and $10 per passenger. Fee includes poker hand and meal at end of ride.
For more info, contact Bo Stillinger at (803) 646-2586.
Hagood to Haiti Fun Run
The Hagood to Haiti Fun Run with Color is August 5 at 8 a.m. at Hagood Avenue Baptist Church in Barnwell to raise money for their mission trip to Haiti. Registration starts at 7 a.m. The cost is $30.
Hilda FBC Yard Sale
The Hilda First Baptist youth will be sponsoring a huge indoor yard sale on Saturday, Aug. 12 from 8 a.m. until 1 p.m. at the church fellowship hall. All proceeds will be used to purchase Bibles and Gospel Story books to be distributed Oct. 31 at Hilda’s Trunk-or-Treat. Doors open at 8 a.m.
FBC Barnwell Bargain Sale
First Baptist Church will hold another “Bargain Sale” to benefit the “Elevator Fund” on August 11, 12 and 18 and 19. There will be lots of merchandise, including clothes, housewares, furniture, tools, appliances, collectibles, antiques and much, much more.
Long Branch Baptist Church (Highway 37) invites Barnwell County teachers to the Barnwell County Educators’ Revival on Aug. 3 at 10 a.m. Mary Thomas (a recently retired teacher, author of “Kids These Days” and motivational speaker) will deliver an inspirational message to challenge all educators to rethink their purpose in the classroom, regain footing when things get out of control, and revive that spirit which called them into teaching. Light refreshments will be served.
Contact Meredith Dandridge at (803) 671-4785.
Kline Backpack Giveaway
The Town of Kline will sponsor its 5th annual backpack giveaway on Saturday, August 5 beginning at 10 a.m. at the Kline Fire Department, located at the caution light in Kline.
To make a donation, contact the town clerk at 803-450-7488.
Greater Faith Giveaway
Greater Faith Ministries (179 Calhoun St., Barnwell) will sponsor its annual Back to School Giveaway on Saturday, Aug. 5 from 10 a.m. to noon. Children must be with an adult.
For more information, call 259-0405.
Fairfax Back to School Blast
Nazarene Missionary Baptist Church (1198 Charleston Avenue, Fairfax) will hold a Back to School Blast on August 5 from 3-7 p.m. There will be free school supplies and backpacks for students in grades K-12.
Second Baptist Church
Second Baptist Church in Barnwell along with the Axis 1 Center of Barnwell will host a back to school bash on Saturday, August 5 at Second Baptist (181 Church St., Barnwell) from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. There will be free food, bounce house, games and school supplies. There will also be a special session on bullying with deputy sheriff Rodney Brown, a school resource officer in District 45.
For more information, please call 259-1385.
Williston Back to School Bash
The 4th Annual Unity in the Community Back to School Bash will be held on Sunday, August 6 from 4-6 p.m. at Williston-Elko High School. Prayer will be held at 3:45 p.m. at the flag pole. There will be school supplies, fellowship, popcorn, snow cones and more. This is sponsored by the Williston-Elko CommUNITY Coalition.
McDonald’s Family Fun Day
McDonald’s in Barnwell will hold a free Back-to-School Family Fun Day on August 10 at 2 p.m. while supplies last.
Allendale Schools Block Party
Allendale County Schools will hold a Back to School Block Party on Saturday, August 12 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Allendale-Fairfax High School.
Blackville Back to School Bash
The Blackville Community Back-to-School Bash will be held on August 12 at the Crystal Jenkins Memorial Walking Track area from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. All Blackville-Hilda High School alumni are asked to get involved.
Back to School Conference
Near River Baptist Church in Fairfax will have a Back to School Conference on Saturday, August 12 from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Students, parents and community members will hear from various speakers on how to prepare healthy meals and snacks, peer pressure, manners, respect, bullying and how to get good grades in school.
Bethany Baptist Church
Bethany Baptist Church (9988 Dunbarton Boulevard, Barnwell) will have Friend Day on August 13 at 10:30 a.m. School supplies will be handed out to children from first to twelfth grades as well as teachers while supplies last.
Barnwell Elementary School
Barnwell Elementary School will have open registration for all 4th, 5th, and 6th grade students from now through August 3. August 2 will be registration for 5th grade students. August 3 will be registration for 6th grade students. Please come to the main office between 8 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
A Meet & Greet Drop-In will be held on Tuesday, August 15 from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m.
Barnwell High School
Registration is underway for the 2017-2018 school year at Barnwell High School from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the following days: Wednesday, Aug. 2 for juniors and Thursday, Aug. 3 for seniors. New students may register on Aug. 3.
Parking decal is $25. Seniors have option to personalize their parking space for additional $25. All fees must be paid with cash or money order.
Guinyard-Butler Middle School
Guinyard-Butler Middle School will hold registration for the 2017-2018 school year as follows: August 2-4 for new students to the district (What to bring: proof of residency, copy of withdrawal form from previous school, copy of last report card, social security card); August 7 is for seventh graders; August 8 is for eighth grade students; and August 9 is for anyone unable to register during designated times. Seventh grade orientation will be on August 13 at 4 p.m.
Macedonia Elementary School
Macedonia Elementary School will have registration and open house on August 15 from noon to 7 p.m.
B-H Middle/High Schools
Parents Blackville-Hilda Middle School and Blackville-Hilda High School students are invited to Registration/Open House on Tuesday, August 15 from noon to 7 p.m.
• The Allendale County Library will have a book sale in the library’s friends’ room located upstairs on Saturday, August 19 from 10:30 a.m. until 1:30 p.m.
• Solar Eclipse 101: Thursday, August 10 at 4 p.m. Learn all about the upcoming Solar Eclipse with Darlene Smalley, program director of Aiken DuPont Planetarium.
• Solar Eclipse Viewing Party: Monday, August 21 from 1-4 p.m. at Lemon Park. Eclipse glasses will be available to first 300 participants.
• Teen Anime & Manga Club: Thursday, August 31 from 7-8:30 p.m. Share in the love of Japanese comics and animation. Teens in grades 7-12. Snacks provided.
• Adult Coloring: Monday, August 14 at 3 p.m. Enjoy a relaxing hour of creativity. Supplies provided.
• Friday Flick: Friday, August 18 at 3:30 p.m. (“Smurfs: The Lost Village”) Free popcorn and drinks. Children under 11 must be accompanied by an adult.
• LEGO Club: Third Wednesday (August 16) of the month at 4 p.m. Join us for LEGO fun…bring your imagination we will provide the rest. For grades K-5th only.
• Preschool Story Time: Thursdays, August 3 and 10 at 11 a.m. Stories, songs and more for ages 3-5. Regular storytime resumes in September.
• Potluck Book Club: Monday, July 24 at 3 p.m. Come and discuss what you are currently reading or one of your favorite books. Snacks provided.
• Lunch & a Movie: “Hidden Figures” (rated PG) on Thursday, August 17 at 1 p.m. Synopsis: “Story of a team of female African-American mathematicians who served a vital role in NASA during early years of U.S. space program.” Bring your lunch. Coffee and dessert provided.
• Tech Help Tuesdays: Tuesday, August 8 and 22 from 10 a.m. to noon. Come by the library with your personal devices (laptop, tablet, kindle, phone, etc.) and learn about the digital services the library has to offer and more.
Voter Registration Board
The Barnwell County Voter Registration and Election Board meets the second Monday of the month at 6 p.m. in the conference room at election office.
Allendale County School Board
The Allendale County School Board will hold a special called meeting on Thursday, August 3 at 5:30 p.m. for a legal briefing. The executive session meeting will be held at the district office.