Gov. School seeks students
This public residential high school in downtown Greenville, overlooking Falls Park, provides a once in a lifetime arts experience. The 2013/14 High School program offers rigorous academics and pre-professional training in one of five arts areas: Creative Writing, Dance, Drama, Music or Visual Arts. Summer Programs are offered in each of the art areas.
Education here takes on a different meaning, where academics are just as challenging as the art in which students study. Students have an opportunity to learn with the best faculty and take the next steps in their artistic and/or academic careers. Academic instructors all have attained Masters and/or Doctorate degrees. Artistic faculty members are active in their disciplines led by a collection of distinguished Department Chairs: award-winning, published author Scott Gould, world-renowned dancer and choreographer Josée Garant, nationally accomplished actor/director Daniel Murray, experienced conductor/musician Dr. David Hamilton, and successful artist/sculptor Joe Thompson.
Students with a passion for art become better artists and students in this place. This public residential high school has the third highest SAT scores in South Carolina. They are ranked in the top 1% in academics for public schools, according to Newsweek.
The High School accepts applications in any art area from current high school sophomores. Exceptions:
• Music: In addition to sophomores, high school juniors may apply and audition to attend the Music program during their senior year. Applicants must exhibit an advanced level of training that would allow them to thrive within a rigorous music program. The Music Department will consider exceptionally talented current freshman students as Early Admission applicants for three years of study.
• Dance: Students interested in the Dance program may apply as a Freshman or Sophomore to attend the High School.
Applications are available online at www.scgsah.org.
Applications must be postmarked by Friday, Jan. 9, 2013. Applications postmarked by Dec. 1, will have the application fee waived.
Regional auditions will be held in February 2013 as follows: Charleston on Feb. 2 at the College of Charleston; Greenville on Feb. 9 at the Governor's School Campus; and in Columbia on Feb. 16 at Columbia College.
For more information, contact the Enrollment office at (864) 282-3713 or www.scgsah.org.
• Discovery - A two-week program in Creative Writing, Drama, Music or Visual Arts for rising 9th graders. Apply in the 8th grade.
• Academy - A two-week program in Creative Writing, Drama, Music or Visual Arts for rising 10th grade students. Apply in the 9th grade.
• Summer Dance - A five-week program in ballet and modern dance for rising 7th through 12th graders. Apply in grades 6-11.