High speed chase ends in arrest

cuffsA quiet Wednesday afternoon gave way to a high-speed chase for area law enforcement with speeds reaching up to 90 miles per hour and ending with the arrest of the suspect in downtown Barnwell. The chase began shortly after 3 p.m. as the Blackville Police Department was notified by South Carolina Highway Patrol of a vehicle heading toward the city at high speeds on U.S. 78. It was reported that two white males were in the vehicle, a tan two-toned GMC truck. The Blackville Police Department joined the SCHP along with the Barnwell County Sheriff's Office and the Williston Police Department in pursuit of the truck. The truck turned on to Vintage Drive and the unidentified passenger in the vehicle exited it and was detained by police. At the intersection of Vintage Drive and S.C. 37, the driver turned his truck toward Barnwell. Barnwell County Sheriff Ed Carroll, now leading the pursuit, notified Barnwell Police Department that the suspect was heading toward the city on S.C. 37/U.S. 278. Police efforts to divert the truck on to Ellenton Street were avoided by the suspect as he continued driving into Barnwell. The suspect was blocked by law enforcement from making a right on to Dunbarton Boulevard. The suspect continued driving up Fuller Park hill where he was blocked in by law enforcement vehicles. Law enforcement officers formed a perimeter around the suspect's truck and some of the officers drew their guns. The suspect was ordered out of the truck with a megaphone by law enforcement. "Man in the car, roll down your window," said law enforcement. Sheriff Carroll asked central dispatch to notify a hostage negotiator because the suspect was not responding to law enforcement orders. The suspect finally exited the truck and was asked to put his hands on his head and get on the ground. "I was just speeding!"the suspect yelled. The suspect was told by police repeatedly, "to step down," but he did not. The suspect was tasered, apprehended and handcuffed by officers at about 3:40 p.m. The incident caused the traffic on Dunbarton Boulevard to come to a stop for nearly 30 minutes.