Firefighters dose hotspots with water at this Joy Lane home in Williston
A candle is being blamed for a fire that destroyed a Williston home last week.
Firefighters from three departments responded to 169 Joy Lane and found a mobile home fully involved around 4 a.m. Sept. 19.
"It was pretty much gone before we got here," said Williston Fire Chief Milton Widener, but was extinguished in approximately 15 minutes.
The fire was caused by a candle that fell over, said Widener, adding how the home did not have power at the time.
Sherry Williams was inside the home at the time of the blaze. She is fine, but was treated by paramedics after having "a little difficulty breathing," said Widener.
Widener thanked all the firefighters who responded from the Williston, Elko and Long Branch departments.
A couple days earlier, firefighters responded to several brush fires along Hwy. 78 and Reynolds Road. Widener said the eight "sporadic" fires were all in a six-mile area, including a few that were at least a half acre in size.
Widener said they are unsure what sparked the fires, but it could have been a number of things, possibly a vehicle. "I don't think it was suspicious due to the distances between fires," he said.
|Barnwell 45 District||Visit|
|Barnwell City Website||Visit|
|Barnwell County Arts Council||Visit|
|Barnwell County Chamber of Commerce||Visit|
|Barnwell County Government||Visit|
|Barnwell County Library||Visit|
|Barnwell County SC Virtual Museum||Visit|
|Big 7 Association||Visit|
|Blackville Municipal Website||Visit|
|Blackville-Hilda School District 19||Visit|
|CodeRed Alert System||Visit|
|Edisto Research and Education Center||Visit|
|JDA - Jefferson Davis Academy||Visit|
|Salkehatchie Arts Center||Visit|
|South Carolina National Heritage Corridor||Visit|
|The Circle Theatre||Visit|
|Thoroughbred Country – Regional Tourism Organization||Visit|
|Town of Williston||Visit|
|Williston-Elko School District 29||Visit|
No blogs have been published.