Attic fire damages house

First Byline: 
Jonathan Vickery - Staff Writer

A Barnwell family is safe following a house fire just days before Christmas.
The fire broke out around 3:45 p.m. Sunday afternoon, Dec. 22, at the Dunbarton Boulevard home of Charlie and Emma Neal.
Barnwell City Fire Chief Tony Dicks said Charlie Neal was doing home maintenance along the roof's eaves when the fire sparked. It then spread throughout the attic causing smoke to billow from several places of the roof.
Firefighters were able to get the fire under control fairly quickly after cutting a hole in the roof to access the fire, Dicks said.
"It charred up the attic pretty good," said Dicks, though fire damage was contained to the attic area. The room below where firefighters cut through the roof suffered water damage.
Dicks said the house is repairable, but the family does have to relocate for the time being.
No one was injured in the fire, something the Neals said they are grateful for.