Blue Devils knock off Hawks again

  • Desmond Murray, #12 of Williston-Elko High, goes high for two of his 12 points in Friday’s win over Blackville-Hilda High.

On Friday night in the Hawks’ Nest, Blackville-Hilda High fans were hoping for some payback after their varsity boys lost to Williston-Elko a week ago in the Hawks’ Invitational championship game.

Blackville-Hilda High’s faithful, however, were disappointed once again as they witnessed Williston-Elko High dominate from start to finish in a 43-32 triumph.

Williston-Elko High, which led by as much as 14 points in the first half, was led by Desmond Murray, who had a double double performance of 12 points, 10 rebounds and seven steals.

Williston-Elko High, winners of their last five games in a row, moves to 8-2 overall and 3-1 in region play.

Williston-Elko High coach Jeremy Lehman said the team continues to do the little things well.

“We rebounded well and got after loose balls. Those are the things you have to do when you have an off shooting night,” Lehman said.

The loss drops Blackville-Hilda High to 4-6 overall and 1-3 in region play.

“It’s hard to win games when you can’t put the ball in the basket. We had some good looks in the paint, but just couldn’t get anything to fall in the basket,” Blackville-Hilda High coach Michael Beasley said.

The contest was similar to the first meeting where the Blue Devils jumped on the Hawks early.

The Blue Devils duplicated that formula in the rematch with a 15-3 run in the first quarter.

For the Blue Devils, Keshawn Toney, Demarkiis Doe, and Austin Allen fueled the team in the opening quarter.

Toney was a tough presence for the Hawks to corrall in the paint. During the first five minutes of the game Toney had four rebounds while connecting on two of three shots in the paint. Doe and Allen did their damage from the outside as each player connected on three-point shots.

Meanwhile, a Hawks team that was plagued by turnovers at the start, didn’t hit a single basket until the 4:29 mark of the opening quarter.

Things got no better for the Hawks in the second quarter. The team missed eight of their first 12 shots and, by halftime, the Blue Devils had built a commanding 21-13 lead.

Desmond Murray took over the scoring for the Blue Devils in the second quarter, scoring eight points on four of six shooting from the floor.

The Blue Devils continued to dominate their in-county rivals in the second half. Tyshawn Allen erupted for seven third-quarter points as the Blue Devils extended their advantage to 29-17 with 1:06 left in the third quarter.

Trailing 32-20 early in the fourth quarter, the Hawks tried to climb back into the game. Evan Staley and Badger scored four points each to narrow the lead 38-29, but that was as close as the game would get.

For the game, three Blue Devils scored in double digits. Joining Murray were Doe with 10 points and 11 rebounds and Toney with 12 points and 14 boards.

For the Hawks, Staley led with nine points and seven steals. Badger had seven points and Kinard added four points.