A-F is own worst enemy in loss

  • Demoray Devoe, #5 of Allendale-Fairfax, returns a kickoff 78 yards for a touchdown in the second quarter.

As the showers passed away Thursday evening at Allendale-Fairfax High, there were moments for the Tigers to shine on a rain soaked field.

Unfortunately for Allendale-Fairfax High, they were unable to improve their chances as the team let opportunity after opportunity slip away.

In the end, the Tigers simply weren’t able to overcome the damage done by their own mistakes in a 20-12 loss to Ridgeland-Hardeeville High.

The loss puts Allendale-Fairfax High at 1-2 in the standings.

Allendale-Fairfax High coach Glynn Darby said mistakes continue to plague the team.

“We had some crucial mistakes tonight that cost us the game,” Darby said. “Right now, it’s just the little things that are hurting us. A missed block here or missed tackle there. Not getting a clean exchange for the center. These kind of things add up in a game.”

The Tigers played well at the start of the game, especially on defense. A defensive unit consisting of Bryson Johnson, William Rollins, Justin Dunbar and Demoray Devoe forced the Jaguars to punt on their first two possessions.

Despite their promsing start, the defensive unit was victimized late in the quarter through the air. On the play, a deep pass down the middle went off the hands of a Jaguar receiver into the arms of his teammate Ronald Simmons, who raced to the end zone to complete a 75-yard scoring play.

“That was really disappointing because we had the play defended pretty well. We just lost track of the ball after it got tipped,” Darby said.

Down by a touchdown, the Tigers clawed back early in the second quarter. Quarterback Frank Oliver engineered a seven-play 67 yard drive. Oliver, who ran six yards to convert a third down, also completed passes to Sadrein Johnson and Jamall Elmore for first downs.

After advancing to the Jaguars’ 36-yard line, Oliver completed the drive then delivered a perfect strike to Demoray Devoe who caught the ball and eluded two defenders to get to the end zone.

“That scoring drive just shows what are able capable of doing when we play disciplined and carry out our assignments,” Darby said.

Tied at 6-6, the tempo of the game started to pick up. The Jaguars’ offense fired back moments later on a 20-yard touchdown reception by Ronald Simmons for a 12-6 lead.

The Jaguars’ lead, however was short-lived.

On the ensuing kickoff, Demoray Devoe tied the game again in dramatic fashion. Devoe received the ball at his 22-yard line and after side-stepping a couple of defenders, Devoe burst up the middle and outraced a host of defenders for a touchdown.

The score tied the game at 12-12 at halftime.

“Demoray Devoe continues to make big plays all over the field for our team,” Darby said.

The teams opened the second half trading turnovers. The Tigers, however, seemingly had the momentum after Sadrien Johnson’s interception and 14-yard return close to midfield.

The Tigers, however, weren’t able to cash in on the good field position. After gaining six yards on two straight runs, the drive stalled with an incomplete pass on third down.

After the Jaguars got the ball back, the Tigers’ defense failed to stop their offense. The Jaguars marched down the field eating up nearly seven minutes of the clock. The drive that was kept alive by a pass interference call against the Tigers ended in a one-yard run by Freddie Aiken with 11:86 left to play.

On the following drive, the Tigers tried to put together a game-tying drive, but Oliver was sacked for a 12-yard loss on third down to force a punt.

That was the last time the Tiger offense would see the ball on the night.

After receiving the punt, the Jaguars controlled the clock for the final six minutes to secure the game.

“The kids played hard and with a lot of passion, but we can’t continue to beat ourselves with mistakes,” Darby said.